You do NOT have to clean and gut your hogs!!!!!
The Riesel Lions Club, Members of the Riesel Lions Club, and any other associated parties of the Lions Club are not responsible for any accidents or unlawful actions committed or as a result of this contest. Hunting is a dangerous sport and all safety measures should be taken to prevent any accidents or injuries.
This is a 24 hour contest
This contest does not provide the land to hunt. It is up to the participants to obtain the land owner's permission to hunt the land in which they will be hunting.
Hunting time begins at 12:00 PM on the Saturday of the contest. Weigh-in's will be the following Sunday at 12:00 PM SHARP at the Riesel Lions Club Fairgrounds located at 1170 East Frederick Riesel, TX 76682.
Entry fee to enter the main pot is $150 per team. Your team may also enter the three (3) side pots for an additional $25 per each pot.
If you have pre-registered by mail, and you have confirmation that we have received your entry fee, your team may begin hunting at 12:00 PM on Saturday. If you registered in-person at the Riesel Lions Club Fairgrounds, you will not receive confirmation.
Failure to check in with judges on Sunday by 12:00 PM SHARP at the Riesel Lions Club Fairgrounds with your ENTIRE team will result in disqualification of your team — No Exceptions!
Entry forms and complete contest rules are available on our website.
Mail-in entries are welcome, but must be received by the Thursday prior to contest. You will receive a conformation email or text letting you know that your entry fee has been received and that your team is entered into the competition. If you do not receive conformation, it means that we did not receive your entry fee and you will not be entered into the competition. If you have any questions regarding your mail in entry please contact us at (254)498-2020.
Mail-in entry fee must be made by Money Order or Cashiers Check and mailed to:
The Riesel Lions Club
P.O. Box 10
Riesel, Tx. 76682
No personal checks, please!!
1. HOGS DO NOT HAVE TO BE GUTTED, BUT CAN BE IF HUNTER WANTS TO SELL OR KEEP THEIR OWN MEAT. HUNTERS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DISGARDING OF THEIR OWN ANIMALS.
2. There will be 2 separate Main Pots (one for gun and one for dog hunters). Each Main Pot winners will be determined by the combined total weight of their heaviest 4 hogs. Gun hunters will only compete against other gun hunters and dog hunters will only compete against other dog hunters in the MAIN POT. Side pots will be combined and all teams will compete against each other.
3. Must follow all County, State, and Federal hunting laws! (This includes having proper hunting license. A Trapper’s license is NOT required to hunt.)
4. There will be a 2 member max per gun team allowed and 4 member max per dog team
5. All team members must be present at weigh-in on Sunday to claim prize money
6. All team members must stay together at all times while hunting. No splitting up while hunting!!! If , when dog hunting, the hogs and dogs split into multiple bays, hunters are allowed to split up to harvest the pigs, but must regroup as soon as possible to resume hunting as one pack. You may use ATV's or horses, but you must stay in a group.
7. All animals must be caught and/or killed within this 24 hour hunting contest!
8. During the hunt, hogs must be caught/shot prior to human handling and can not be roped, or run over first. No trapped animals and no hunting on high fence properties, snared, caged-raised, or frozen animals will be allowed.
9. No pooling of animals between teams!!! Your team members must kill the animals you turn in.
10. All hogs must weigh a minimum of 50 POUNDS to be eligible to be turned in and counted for towards main pots as well as side pots.
11. No use of Aircraft (no aerial hunting) allowed.
12. The use of spotlights and green or red varmint lights are ok as well as the use of night vision or thermal scopes.
13. Decision of judges is FINAL! (JUDGES MAY ALSO BE HUNTING IN CONTEST)
14. ALL Team members may be subject to, and must be able to take a Polygraph Test on Sunday before any award money will be given out. THIS INCLUDES CONTESTANT SOBRIETY LEVEL!!!
15. 60% of all main pot entries will go towards the main pot payouts. 40% will go to the Riesel Lions Club. Payouts will be as follows:
1-10 Teams Pays 1st & 2nd Place (split 60% / 40%)
11-20 Teams Pays 1st, 2nd & 3rd Places (split 50% / 30% / 20%)
21 or more Teams Pays 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th places (50% / 30% / 15% / 5%)
16. Side pots are optional, but you must enter one of the main pots to be eligible to enter side pots. They include LONGEST STRINGER, LONGEST CUTTER (BOTTOM TOOTH) AND HEAVIEST SINGLE PIG. Side pots are $25 each/per team to enter. $20 will go to the side pot and $5 per entry fee will go to the Riesel Lions Club.
For a list of Frequently Asked Questions about the rules, please view our Rules FAQ.
For more information contact:
Daniel Stewart (254)498-2020
Clayton Skinner (254)722-0745